Monday, March 15, 2010

The Big Picture

Our Sunday school class recently started a new series entitled The Big Picture. It is a series of lessons centered around scripture that outlines what God desires for our family, how God intends for husbands to love their wives, and how God desires for wives to love their husbands. Shaun and I were very excited to start this series of lessons, because we are constantly asking ourselves if we treat one another in a way that brings glory to God. I love Shaun more than he will ever know, but I strive daily to make sure I love in the way that God intended for me to love him.

Last week we focused on God's passion, plan and purpose for your family. And while that was insightful, I have to say that I was more so looking forward to this weeks lesson- Husbands! As I sat there with Shaun and listened as our Sunday school teacher read scripture describing how God intended for a husband to love his wife, my heart was overwhelmed with joy and pride as I could confidently check one by one off the list.

*We must love our wives Spiritually- CHECK!
In Colossians 3:19 Paul talks about a love of the will; a love that refuses to die. Paul also uses the word agape when describing the kind of love a husband should have for his wife. Agape is a spiritual love that one person gives to another expecting nothing in return. I know that I do not always make it easy for Shaun to love me, but I know that he does unconditionally. He expects nothing in return from me; he loves me spiritually.

*We must love our wives Sacrificially- BIG CHECK!
Anyone who has ever met Shaun knows that he loves me sacrificially. Could we live in a bigger, nicer house if I worked? Of course. Could we take a vacation every summer if I worked? Yes. Does Shaun love grad school and spending every weekend at the library? No. Did he go back for his masters and CPA so that he could provide a better life for us? Yes. Just in the simple fact that Shaun not only allows me, but encourages me to stay home with our little girl and future children proves first hand his willingness to sacrifice for his family. Believe me, originally he had no problem with daycare, but this Mommy couldn't handle the thought of it. But he was willing to change the way we lived so that we could afford for me to stay home. He is constantly sacrificing his time, his needs and his wants so that Lillian and I can have what we need and want. God tells us that you cannot love your wife the way He wants you to if you're not willing to make sacrifices. A husband is called to love his wife in the way that Christ loved the church and gave his life for her (Eph 5:25). I have always felt like this is such an overwhelming responsibility that God lays on the shoulders of our husbands. To know that Shaun truly strives everyday to love me in the way that Christ loved the church is simply humbling. We are not worthy of Christ's love, and there have been times in our relationship that I know I have not been worthy of Shaun's. Shaun loves me sacrificially.

*We must love our wives sensitively- CHECK!
This might have been Shaun's favorite part of yesterdays lesson, and the one he said that he openly admits to struggling with the most. God does not call our husbands to understand us women, but he does call our husbands not be "embittered" with their wives. The word embittered means to lose patience with; to be upset with. While Shaun has the patience of Job, I am pretty sure that I have caused him a fair share of frustration over the last three years. Shaun loves me sensitively.

I shared this for a number of reasons. Mainly because I wanted this to go into Lillian's blog book. I want her to read it one day and know that her Daddy treats and loves her Mommy the way he does not just because he loves me, but because God calls him and has convicted him to love me in a specific way. We hope that she finds a husband one day who will feel those same convictions for her.

I also shared this because I want Shaun to know that I am forever grateful for his love, respect and support. He is the "house band" that holds us together and he keeps me focused on The Big Picture. To have a family that is a picture of God's love for God's glory. Next week, the series continues with Wives! I have to admit that I am a little nervous about it....

2 comments:

Kelley said...

Well, after I read the post above about H & L I asked if we could be more blessed and I have to ask that again with our sweet husbands...Chris does love me the same way and I will be looking for an update from your SS class next week as to if we measure up...

Mary Michael said...

You have this pregnant woman in tears. I have no doubt that Shaun will be checking off his list too!! :)